Translate

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dear Mr President

It disturbs me greatly to hear all of these arguments on the legislative floors of so many states and even the federal government regarding same-sex marriage that are almost solely based on religion. It truly shocks me how many times I have heard our governments representatives argue their personal faith and feelings as a reason to ban same-sex marriage. To have someone in a position of secular authority try to force their personal belief on the populace or even the personal faith of the people in their district on the rest of the citizens and not have someone else raise the question of division of church and state is terrifying. I understand that many faiths have issue with gay marriage, that does not however make a good argument to ban it. There are also religions that insist women wear hair coverings, are we going to make that into law next?
I have as yet to hear a valid, legal, secular argument for banning gay marriage.
I fail to see any legal, secular reason to ban people from doing anything in their own personal lives that does not directly affect another person negatively.
I understand that this is a highly emotional issue for many people. However, I fail to see how that is any reason for this to become a law or even seriously debated when there are so many more important issues (like the economy) to worry about.

And that's My 25 cents...

No comments:

Post a Comment