Translate

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Casey Anthony and the Caley Bill

Okay, Okay I get that we are all very upset about the verdict but to make another set of laws impinging on the lives and rights of the citizens of this country is just wrong. Making up new laws based on an emotional upheaval is just asking for trouble. I understand wanting to feel safe and to protect children, I have one myself and have been in a state of worry and panic since she was born. That hasn't made me want to wrap her in foam and bubble wrap though. On the contrary, I want her to take a many bumps and bruises as she can so that life isn't a big shock for her when she goes out there on her own. I'm going to paraphrase a line from one of my favorite comics here; Christopher Titus remarked in one of his specials that when s%#& really hits the fan you want someone around who's been through stuff already because they won't panic, they'll deal and help others get through too. What we really need is to quit swaddling our kids. Hard times, discipline, responsibility, unfairness, bumps and bruises; all these make a strong person able to handle anything. Just like germs, the more antigerm/antimicrobial crap we use the stronger they get and the weaker our immune systems get; like George Carlin said in one of his standups, when he was young they swam in the river and he'd never been sick because his immune system had been built up. If we all lived in an absolutely germ free, dirt free, sterile environment with rounded foam corners we would become weak, ineffectual and I sincerely believe we would  be extinct soon after. We need hardships, crises, disasters, catastrophes; to build us up and make us stronger and better as a species. And yes, if my daughter were to have something happen to her I would be devastated, but I wouldn't go out and try to make a law to stop grass from growing or cars from being made or toy cars to have bright lights and sirens to know they are there or whatever. Stop dumbing down and coddling our kids, they are stronger than we think and they'll learn; if we let them.

And that's My 25 cents...

No comments:

Post a Comment